Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Am a contradiction of sorts. i love going out and having a good time with friends, and i can also stay home chill out over a book or a movie.. Am very passionate about writing, so give me a topic and watch me float away into wonderland... I Am crazy about music,books,friends and my doggie... :)

July 28, 2007

Quotes about writing.. interesting...

Some cool quotes on writing that i came across..

The reason one writes isn't the fact he wants to say something. He writes because he has something to say. F. Scott Fitzgerald

Forget all the rules. Forget about being published. Write for yourself and celebrate writing. Melinda Haynes

My purpose is to entertain myself first and other people secondly. John D. MacDonald

Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
Gloria Steinem

If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster. Isaac Asimov

Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
E. L. Doctorow

A writer never has a vacation. For a writer life consists of either writing or thinking about writing. Eugene Ionesco

All the words I use in my stories can be found in the dictionary - it's just a matter of arranging them into the right sentences.
Somerset Maugham

Exercise the writing muscle every day, even if it is only a letter, notes, a title list, a character sketch, a journal entry. Writers are like dancers, like athletes. Without that exercise, the muscles seize up.
Jane Yolen

If you read good books, when you write, good books will come out of you.
Natalie Goldberg

Moving around is good for creativity: the next line of dialogue that you desperately need may well be waiting in the back of the refrigerator or half a mile along your favorite walk.
Will Shetterly

If you think that something small cannot make a difference, try going to sleep with a mosquito in the room.
Anonymous

Every bush can burn if you fire it with your imagination.
Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

A good many young writers make the mistake of enclosing a stamped, self-addressed envelope, big enough for the manuscript to come back in. This is too much of a temptation to the editor.
Ring Lardner

5 comments:

rauf said...

There was once a young man who, in his youth, professed his desire become a great writer.

When asked to define "great" he said, "I want to write stuff that the whole world will read, stuff that people will react to on a truly emotional level, stuff that will make them scream, cry, howl in pain and anger!"

He now works for Microsoft, writing error messages.

rauf said...

one chap kept sending his poems to a magazine with a stamped self addressed enveloped, and he recived all his poems back with a rejection letter. it went on for years. One day the ditor wrote to him saying that he writes trash, not worth printing, please give me one good reason why we should print your poems ?
the poet replied
if you print my poem you can keep the stamp.

Vidya said...

Loved the post especially the one about the headlights and travel.

Especially loved the comments section too! LOL!

Thank you for dropping by my blog!

Deepak said...

awesome collection... :)


Thank you for showing interest at my place.

Aarti said...

hey Rauf
That was wacko..as always,ur comments make me smile..laugh...

hi Vidya
thanks~~~~ yep,i keep digging up for some fun things, if u have any links or url do share..

Hi deepak
thanks for dropping by, yep,liked ur blog too....